Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Danceaday, the beginning.
















In Candace Feck's Postmodernism class, I had the assignment to lead the discussion about David Gere's article on Joe Goode's 29 Effeminate Gestures. I was not sure if there was a video of the work so I recorded a series of gestures based on the article and that became my first dance on May 11, 2007. I was also taking a podcasting class with Dan Shellenbarger and up to that point I was making a somewhat uninspired blog about my life as a dancer using photos from my camera phone. In my dance composition class with Bebe Miller and Susan Rethorst I was making a new short dance every class and showing it. These were the magic ingredients that made danceaday a concept that was possible in my mind.

I have a history of creating long projects like this one. When I was in college at the North Carolina School of the Arts I made audio recordings inspired by Ken Nordine's Word Jazz. I loved doing these so much that on my breaks between classed I would run back to my room to record. Later when I was dancing with Liz Lerman and Jacob's Pillow's Men Dancers I rejected the camera for audio recordings of our adventures. I have over three hundred cassette tapes. Doing danceaday was a bit more of a challenge because of the time factor but it is rooted in my experiences with audio recordings.

No comments: